IN BRIEF: Joni Wiman remains perfect in GRC Lites competition, winning his fifth consecutive race at The Dirt Track on Charlotte on Sunday. This victory, over Geoff Sykes and Sebastian Eriksson, extended Wiman’s points lead to 29—clinching him the inaugural series title.
HEAT RECAPS: With two sets of heat races and no last chance qualifier, drivers were racing purely for bonus points rather than advancement. Wiman swept heats 1A and 2A, while Kevin Eriksson and Mitchell deJong split 1B and 2B, respectively.
MAIN EVENT RECAP: For the second race in a row, Wiman failed to secure the holeshot in the final, this time falling behind Kevin Eriksson as a rough start dropped deJong through the field. But Eriksson’s good luck faded fairly quickly, as a cut right rear tire dropped him through the field like a stone until he eventually ended up seventh.
Geoff Sykes managed to avoid trouble at the start to coast to an easy second place, while jostling between the rest of the field allowed Sebastian Eriksson, who had missed his second heat race, to climb from ninth to fourth in the first lap. He battled with deJong once again, reminiscent of their duel in Atlanta, but held third place.
RESULTS: The results from GRC Lites at The Dirt Track at Charlotte:
- Joni Wiman, #93 Set Promotion GRC Lites
- Geoff Sykes, #65 OlsbergsMSE GRC Lites
- Sebastian Eriksson, #37 OlsbergsMSE GRC Lites
- Mitchell deJong, #24 OlsbergsMSE GRC Lites
- Alexander Westlund, #55 Set Promotion GRC Lites
- Harry Cheung, #88 Cohesive Front Racing GRC Lites
- Kevin Eriksson, #39 Set Promotion GRC Lites
- Austin Dyne, #99 AD Racing GRC Lites
- Tyler Benson, #60 OlsbergsMSE GRC Lites
- Joni Wiman, 106
- Sebastian Eriksson, 77
- Mitchell deJong, 69
- Kevin Eriksson, 65
- Alexander Westlund, 63
- Geoff Sykes, 57
- Austin Dyne, 53
- Harry Cheung, 46
- Halid Avdagic, 29
- Reinis Nitiss, 23
- Tyler Benson, 15
Photo credit: Matthew Kalish